Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 13:35:00 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More compiler option comparisons

In the last episode (May 25), Garrett Wollman said:
> Just for completeness, I did one final run of HINT with just `-O'
> specified (our usual default).  `-O' results in significantly better
> integer performance than `-O4'.  (Floating-point performance is just
> the opposite.)
>
> This suggests that compiling the world with `-O' levels higher than
> one is probably a bad idea.  (The generated assembly is identical from
> `-O2' to `-O4'.)  The `-O2' code appears to be less efficient at
> register allocation; about twice as much stack temporary space is
> required.

-O4 doesn't exist in egcs (or it didn't a month or so ago).  According
to the source, -O2 enables all optimizations except -funroll-all-loops,
and all -O3 does is enable -funroll-all-loops.

I'd like to see separate runs, one with each -march= option (i386,
i486, i586, i686), so see if those many any difference at all.

	-Dan