Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:39:10 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Daniel Ruthardt <ruthardt@chello.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telnet access from local network using "root"

> Daniel Ruthardt wrote:
>
> How do I tell FreeBSD that I want to allow my local network to access
> my FreeBSD server using the "root" username via Telnet? Please help,
> this is very important 'cause my server has no graphic card nor an
> monitor (-;
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel Ruthardt

add users which you wish to be able to 'su root' into the group 'wheel'.
See /etc/group, edit it, and add the username of any regular user to
that group, then login via telnet as that user, type 'su' and enter the
root password. It is not traditionally secure to telnet as root
directly.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com