Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 17:57:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stops when APM is loaded

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > If it's printed the APM information, it's probably finished with the
> > > APM stuff and onto the next probe.  You need to redirect your attention
> > > elsewhere...
> >
> > I've rebuilt the kernel with the apm line commented out and it boots just
> > fine. That's why I'm thinking it's apm related. I'm willing to hear that
> > it's not the apm code but if it's not then it's probably something that
> > comes after it. I'm not really sure what to look for since it works fine
> > w/o apm0 in the config file but ``breaks'' when I add it back in.
>
> Ok.  Have you experimented with the various flags to the APM device?

I've only tried one of the three flags that I have seen listed. I'll try
the other two as well. I'll admit some ignorance in that I'm not sure how
to combine flags, can they be used simultaneously? Or are the flags
mutually exclusive? Do I list the flags one after the other or is there
some form of addition that I need to do (like setting multiple bits)?

Right now the only flag that I have tried is the broken statclock flag.
The other two flags seem to force the APM into 1.1 mode (as opposed to
1.2) and it had seemed to be working in 1.2 mode up until now. My notebook
is at home right now and I am at work waiting for a dump to finish. I'll
play with the options tonight to see what I come up with.

> Can you try building a kernel with VM86 defined and see if that works?

I'm not familiar with the VM86 at all. I'll have to take a look at it.
What does it do?

Thanks for the help!

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
In thousands of sparkling lights and electro-syntho-magnetic musical sounds