Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 00:31:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Miten N. Mehta" <mmehta@cs.tamu.edu>
To:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   problem

Hi,

I am facing a problem with login of users with "tcsh"

I recently installed FreeBSD on my machine(pentium pc). Initially I
created one user before I installed "tcsh" so I had given shell of it as
"csh". There after I installed tcsh and then I created 4-5 more users
with default shell as "tcsh". And everything was fine. Then I wanted to
change the shell of the first user who was given "csh".

I did not know how to do that, but then I changed the entries in
/etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files by changing "csh" to "tcsh".

Then also other users with "tcsh" were fine, while logging in they were
fine too. But I noticed that still the first user did not get the "tcsh"
when logged in after change. So I deleted that user by removing the
entries for that first user from both the files - /etc/passwd and
/etc/master.passwd.

Then I rebooted the computer by shutdown command. Before that I ran
"fsch" and when it asked to fix the CLEAR FLAG, I had told yes.

After rebooting, now root is working fine but with the users having
"tcsh" as initial shell are facing problem and when I login as those
users, I got following error messages ( I am dumping the screen I get ...

_______________________________________
.
.
.

Welcome to FreeBSD!

If the info distribution has been loaded on this machine, the FreeBSD
Handbook will be in file:/usr/share/doc/handbook and the FAQ in
file:/usr/share/doc/FAQ

Type /stand/sysinstall to re-enter the installation and configuration
utility.

tcsh: Permission denied
tcsh: Trying to start from "/home/vaidya"
tcsh: Trying to start from "/"
tcsh: Cannot open /etc/termcap.
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

___________________________________

I tried to check if any other problem is there, I created trial user with
"sh" shell and it is working fine but then I created another trial user
with "tcsh" shell and for logging in for that, I got the same above message.

I don't know what is the error, please help to correct above things so
that I can have the same setup which was running before I messed up with
/etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd.

Also
-	tell me how to remove users
- 	how to change shell of theirs

Thanks

Miten.

PS. I will appreciate if you can help me ASAP becaure my research work is
hung due to that.