Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 13:28:19 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        reu ismil <reuismil@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make fails

reu ismil wrote:

> First, I installed a 4.3.1 on in a 420M HD using an

Not familiar with this version, unless something has changed in the
version numbering, the latest is 4.3 - is that what you meant?

> But when i run it on a 386 machine with 4M mem it
> stops booting and displays this msg:
>       swap_pager_getswapspace=FAILED

I don't believe it's possible to install with only 4M of RAM:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/install-hw.html

> so i tried to customize my own kernel at the 120Mhz
> 1586 machine. The prob is when i type make, it stops
> because of an error code.

What is the error? Often times the error message will tell you exactly
what you did wrong (Note: trace back up the list of error codes until
you get an actual message - in order to find the original error that
cause all the others)
If you get a whole bunch of errors, you may want to save the output from
the compile in a file to review later, like this:
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL > buildkernel.txt

-Bill