Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2014 00:22:58 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Joe Altman <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving to 9.3 to 10: kernel config issues: atadisk & atapicam and vt & vt_vga

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:43:44 -0500, Joe Altman wrote:
> For the first two (atadisk and atapicam), it seems that ahci will be the
> replacement.

Yes. Disks known as "ad" will probably show up as "ada"
(typically SATA disks) or "da" (typically SCSI disks and
any other media, such as USB). I currently don't have
access to a v10 system with (P)ATA disks to check for
the remaining case. :-)

> But I am concerned about using ahci and whether or not my
> fstab needs to be altered; here is its current form:
>
> # Device        Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/ad4s1b     none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad4s1a     /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad4s1e     /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1g     /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1h     /usr/home       ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1d     /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad4s1f     /var/tmp        ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0       /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
> fdesc           /dev/fd         fdescfs rw              0       0

Instead of relying on disk devices, I suggest you simply
apply a label for each partition, so you can refer to the
labels. Also note that /dev/acd0 will be gone, and /dev/cd0
will have to be used instead (generic "SCSI access" to optical
drives). I assume you're using SATA disks, and ad4 is such
a disk - then you'll have to change it to /dev/ada0, but
check the "dmesg" and "camcontrol devlist" output.

Here are a few resources that will surely be helpful:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-glabel.html

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html