Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:21:24 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@alaskaparadise.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sam Jones <samjones1986@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Dual booting problems

--nextPart2944511.KYbaczalfG

On Thursday 01 March 2007 12:36, Sam Jones said:
> I'm having a little problem trying to dual boot. I have two SATA
> hard drives, the first one with FreeBSD and the second with Windows
> XP. I installed the FreeBSD boot manager on the first drive, and
> when the computer boots, it displays:
>
> F1  FreeBSD
> F5  Drive 1
>
> When I press F5, FreeBSD loads and not Windows. I know Windows is
> working because when I disconnect the first drive, Windows boots
> from the second just fine. I've tried using boot0cfg to reload the
> boot manager, but that doesn't help. The simplest thing to do would
> be to specify that F5 boots Windows, but I can't find anything.
>
> Is this configuration even possible? Or does Windows just make it
> impossible to boot from the second disk?

You need to switch your drives around and setup accordingly. Windows=20
(at least in my experience) will not boot from anything but the first=20
drive.

Beech

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - Port Maintainer - beech@alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html