Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:13:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   have live system with NFS client cache problems what do i do?

Hey, i was just doing a kernel compile over NFS and i have a weird
situtation.  After compiling everything the linker barfs on linking.

gensetdefs: cd9660_bmap.o: not an ELF file

for about 12 files...

the compile is being done on a laptop that has my desktop's src dir
NFS mounted.

the card in the laptop is a 3comIII and the dekstop a pn0

doing a 'file cd9660_bmap.o' on laptop (NFS client) gives me a
cd9660_bmap.o: MS Windows COFF Unknown CPU

while on the server:
strlen.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), not stri

it seems my client is having a really tough time with these files, i have
copied the files that the client has corrupted to localdisk but now
they seem fine...

the client laptop is unable to link the kernel it's getting tons of
corrupted data is seems, on the server i am able to link the kernel just
fine.

i'm using the default NFS mounts and no nfsiod.

enabling nfsiod didn't help, however unmounting the NFS share and
remounting seems to have fixed it....

i guess i should have taken a crash dump when the system was all
hosed but it's fine now... *sigh*

Alfred Perlstein - Admin, coder, and admirer of all things BSD.
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        4.0-current