Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:38:06 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggested hack for ntpdate flags

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 03:27:13PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:19:56 -0400, Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> said:
>
> > I've taken to doing this in various boxes in /etc/rc.conf:
> >   ntpdate_flags="`sed -n 's/^server \(.*\)/\1/p' < /etc/ntp.conf`"
>
> > just so I don't have two lists of time servers to maintain.
>
> Hmmm.  Around here, we simply call our NTP servers `ntp-0', `ntp-1',
> and `ntp-2', so there's no maintenance involved.  I can see where your
> approach might help for a site which doesn't run its own NTP servers.

I do run my own servers.  Irrespective of _what_ you name your time
servers (or whether they're internal or not), with the above hack,
you only need record them once in /etc/ntpd.conf.  You don't then
need to also cite them in /etc/rc.conf.

Of course, if your site has ready mechanisms for provisioning
machines, then such things could simply be pre-configured into your
reference machine to be distributed.

I need such a thing in that I'm responsible for preovisioning
machines in several sites; this is one of those hacks I keep carrying
around with me.

I was volunteering it more for the masses at large, as someone new
to configuring time syncronization clients might find it useful.

Just a suggestion anyway; I'm not going to get bent out of shape
if it's not useful to others...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842