Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:46:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        Maveri9714@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi, I'm a newbie and sorry for bothering you

Both are open source products, and both are "free" - ie, you can obtain a
copy from the internet at no cost, and use it on as many machines as you
like for just about any purpose.  If you go into details of the license,
the BSD license permits some things that the GNU license (which applies to
Linux) doesn't - but the differences are not too important for most users.

Both are excellent products, and much of the software (the X11 window
system for example) is identical.

You can learn a great deal from either - go ahead and try either (or both)
of them, and good luck!