Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:03:32 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Heino Tiedemann" <rotkap@gmx.de>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/138752: www/linux-opera does not start

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 05:40:07 -0500, Heino Tiedemann <rotkap@gmx.de> wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR ports/138752; it has been noted by
> GNATS.
>
> From: Heino Tiedemann <rotkap@gmx.de>
> To: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
> Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org,  emulation@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: ports/138752: www/linux-opera does not start
> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:33:59 +0200
>
>  "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:44:48 -0500, Heino Tiedemann <rotkap@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>  >
>  >> "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Can you show me the output of 'pkg_info -IX linux' and 'sysctl
>  >>> compat.linux'?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> yes, of course..
>  >
>  > Thanks.
>  >
>  >> ,----[ pkg_info -IX linux ]
>  > <snip>
>  >> | linux_base-fc-4_15  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for
>  >> i386/amd64)
>  >> `----
>  >
>  > I have linux_base-f8-8_10 installed here.
>
>  If Opera needs that vesion, why is the opera port not depending on
>  that version?

You have snipped out my previous comment. I said:

------------------------
It looks like Opera now required glibc 2.4, which is available in f8 but
dunno about f6. I will have to uninstall all of my linux_* ports and test
it with linux_base-f6 to see if it will working. For I can edit the
USE_LINUX in the Makefile by change from 'yes' to '6', '7' or else what it
required.
------------------------

It means: I just found out linux-opera now required glibc 2.4, so I am
working on it to make the change of version requirement correct.

> can I just switch from fc-4_15 to f8-8_10?

Yes, since you have FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE.

> Are there reasons against switching?

Not that I know of.

> I am using portupgrade, this should do it:
> portupgrade -o emulators/linux_base-f8 emulators/linux_base-fc4
> Is that right?

See in the /usr/ports/UPDATING at 20090401 and 20070327 sections for how
to upgrade.

Cheers,
Mezz

--