Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:35:02 -0500
From:      Pete <pete-freebsd-questions@toscano.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Difference between Vinum and atacontrol RAID?

A couple days ago, I asked on the -hackers list about a problem I was
having with Vinum and my Promise-based controllers.  Søren replied with
how to do this by using atacontrol to build the volume.  No Vinum seems
to be required.

I thought Vinum was FreeBSD's RAID system.  If you wanted to do software
RAID with FreeBSD, you needed to use Vinum.  Now I find this out.  Does
that ATA subsystem have RAID support built in?  (Since atacontrol just
seems to control the ATA devices...)  If this is so, what's the use of
Vinum?  When should I use one vs the other?  How do Vinum and the ATA
subsystem's RAID relate?

Thanks,
pete