Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:12:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-2-76.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        bharat@menalto.com (Bharat Mediratta)
Cc:        Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Workstation Backup Device advice

In reply:

> > Can anyone recommend the cheapest/most reliable backup device supported by
> > FreeBSD 3.4 (must be tape media), which will carry minimum of 4G a tape
> > (I'm not switching them over too much!).  SCSI is a must!  I'm not willing
> > to spend DAT drive money.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Chris Smith
> > Raytheon Systems Limited UK
> >
> > Chris Smith

Don't rule out DAT drives.  I have a couple of HP C1533A drive that i
bought for $125 apiece used.  works great.  As a DDS-2 drive it will
do 4G native and 8G compressed.

Mine were through a private sale from someone I knew, but I'm sure
ebay pricing should be equivilant.  I bought mine 2 years ago at that
price when ebay pricing was 2-3x that.

Remember one thing, even if you do pay a little more than i did,
compared to Travan and DLT, DDS-2 drives pay for themselves in the
prices for the media itself.  i normally pay from $0.50 to $1.00 for
60m tapes, $1.00 to $2.50 for 90m tapes, and $2.50 to $5.00 for 120m
tapes, all shrink-wrapped, all on ebay.

Keep an eye on DDS-3 [12G/24G] pricing, it's really been dropping
lately.  DDS-2 is still the most cost-effective though for the
hardware.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or