Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 20:08:49 -0700
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        Willy <william.leeson@cs.tcd.ie>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CTM abuse

At 08:53 AM 8/6/99 +0100, Willy wrote:
>Then I did the following
>
>root@/usr/CTMs>cd /usr/src/
>root@/usr/src>ctm -v -v /usr/CTMs/src-3.0200xEmpty.gz
>ctm: warning: .ctm_status not found
>Working on </usr/CTMs/src-3.0200xEmpty.gz>
> FM: usr.sbin/zic/WWW exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/ialloc.c exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/scheck.c exists.
>  DM: usr.sbin/zic/zdump exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/zdump/Makefile exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/zdump.8 exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/zdump.c exists.
>  DM: usr.sbin/zic/zic exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/zic/Makefile exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/zic.8 exists.
>  FM: usr.sbin/zic/zic.c exists.
>ctm: exit(80)
>
>But nothing seems to have happened it only seems to have checked for the
>files existance. I think this is because of the lack of a .ctm_status
>file but I do not know what version info I should put in it for my
>current sources. Anyway I am at a loss here.....what am I doing wrong?

Any CTM file ending with "xEmpty" is expecting to create an entire src
tree, not just update existing files.  Therefore, go to /usr/src and do a
'rm -r *' first, _then_ do a 'ctm -v -v /usr/CTMs/src-3.02*' (this will
extract the xEmpty, then continue on to apply all the other deltas).  Don't
worry about the error that you have no .ctm_status file.  You shouldn't
until you apply the deltas, and then it will make one for you.

-David