Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:47:30 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        "Brian T . Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>, Charlie & <root@dambiec.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU Usage

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

> xosview shows up always as about 5%.  You can run that to see whether top=
 is=20
> getting bad numbers or you just aren't keeping your CPU very busy with us=
er=20
> processes.  Doing something like ls -R / should cause some non-zero numbe=
r to=20
> show up for ls after a while.
>=20
> But low numbers are normal; system time won't show up in top, and FreeBSD=
 is=20
> efficient enough that if you aren't doing much then the CPU isn't doing m=
uch,=20
> either.

	Granted you'll get the bonehead of the day award for this when
you set the nice-ness to -20, an effective command to use to generate
some artifical load/slowdown of the CPU is:

cat /dev/zero > /dev/null

	::grin::  -sc

	PS nice --20 cat /dev/zero > /dev/null really will freeze your
system, don't ask me how I know, just trust me.

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--