Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 21:05:39 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot process

Hi

I am having some problems with a machine I recently rebuilt; I suspect
either the drive geometry or something else in the boot process. The
machine has to be booted "manually".

Situation: I installed FreeBSD 3.1 on a 4G SCSI disk that had had
Current on it before (CURRENT snaps wouldn't boot). At the
F1 FreeBSD
F5 Disk 1
prompt, the machine just beeps, and does not reboot. (The other
disk is a 2G SCSI)

Drive geometry is 64 heads, 32 sectors and N(>1024) tracks. The
a partition is the first and it is only 32MB. Disklabel looks
OK.

If I play around (Hit F5 or space or enter), I get "Invalid partition"
errors. Hitting enter at that stage gets me a Boot: prompt. The only
thing that gets an actial boot is typing 0:da(1,a)/boot/loader. Then
both disks are visible and fine. Both disks have had fdisk -b and
disklabel -B done to them.

Any clues?