Date:      Fri, 02 Jul 1999 08:42:27 -1000
From:      "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Density for tapes with dump

Please let me know anything you discover on this subject!!  I also have
a Seagate TapeStor drive, CTT8000A - Seagate bought Conner and didn't
change the model number to ST8000A at first ... :^)  Anyway, I remember
trying to get his drive to work under FreeBSD 2.2.2 then 2.2.5, 2.2.6
2.2.7 etc I wasn't aware that FreeBSD had support for ATAPI tape drives.
I'm currently on FreeBSD 3.2-R, is there ATAPI tape support at that level?

At 02:56 AM 7/3/99 +0930, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>My home system is currently a 3.0-R beast which I'm wanting to upgrade to
>3.2-R.  Shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to do a backup first.  I have
>an atapi tape drive which detects as
>
>wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <Seagate STT8000A/5.02>, removable, accel, dma, iordis
>wst0: Drive empty, readonly, reverse, qfa, ecc, 512b
>wst0: Max speed=600Kb/s, Transfer limit=52 blocks, Buffer size=728 blocks
>
>(a Seagate TapeStor Travan TR-4 tape drive).  Unfortunately the density
>seems incorrectly set as when I try to dump my file systems it clearly
>gets its calculations wrong:
>
>  DUMP: estimated 3821513 tape blocks on 97.88 tape(s).
>
>These are 4GB tapes.  I'd really like to have a hard drive that took 100
>tapes to back up, but no such luck ;).  "mt -f /dev/rwst0 status" tells me:
>
>Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
>Current:  X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      none
>---------available modes---------
>0:        0x00            variable       0        none
>1:        0x00            variable       0        none
>2:        0x00            variable       0        none
>3:        0x00            variable       0        none
>
>I'm sure the 800bpi number is wrong, and I know I can give the correct
>argument to dump with the -d option, but I've no idea how to calculate
>what it is.  Is bpi bytes/inch or blocks/inch?  I know the tapes are 740ft
>long, or thats what the manual for the drive tells me :).
>
>Any help appreciated, thanks.
>
>--
>Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
>Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237
>Teletraffic Research Centre

   __
  /  )    _/_  It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data.
 /--/ __  /    Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories,
/  (_/ (_<__   Instead of theories to suit facts.
                     -- Sherlock Holmes, "A Scandal in Bohemia"
Arthur W. Neilson III, KH7PZ
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support
art@hawaii.rr.com