Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:04:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AWE64 on FreeBSD-4.1

	This is a strange one.  A program I've been working on for
	some time uses sound generated and played thru /dev/dsp.
	Before my program starts, the error-checking routines make
	sure that the sound card is configured; if not, then the
	program pops up an error-window.  Here, on this old platform,
	my ISA soundcard went south and the program does what it is
	supposed to. It pops up the error-window and quits.

	My second FreeBSD system has an AWE64 which is configured into
	my KERNEL config file.  When I exec my program on this second
	system, and when I try to use the soundcard, no-joy.  The message
	from the driver is that /dev/dsp is "Busy".

	Anybody know what's going on?  Any ideas on how to fix this
	problem?

	TIA, guys,

	gary

--