Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:24:37 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with bootup

This is why all aspiring UNIX administrators are required to learn not just
vi(1), but ed(1).

If you're reasonably good, you can get vi(1) working in single user; it's not
too hard.  (-:

-- richard

Rick Knebel wrote:

> >Rick Knebel wrote:
> >
> >>  I was editing my /etc/rc.conf and obviously made a mistake.
> >>  It stops on bootup and will not let me continue.
> >>  How can I get into my system to edit my mistake.
> >
> >While the system is booting, you'll see a message that says "Press Enter
> >to boot right away or any key for ... bla bla bla"
> >The system will then start counting down from 9. Press a key other than
> >ENTER before it reaches 0. Then you'll get a prompt, enter "boot -s"
> >which will boot the system in single-user mode (sort of like "safe" mode
> >on Windows) You'll be asked for a shell (I always accept the default)
> >then thrown into a shell prompt. From there you'll be able to repair
> >your rc.conf file and reboot the system.
> >
> >-Bill

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
>
> Thanks.
> Now when I get to the prompt and type jpico which is the editor I use
> it says not found
> --
> Rick Knebel
> rknebel@uplink.net
> http://members.tripod.com/~Rick_Knebel/

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA