Date:      Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:21:19 -0500
From:      "David M. Heller" <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please change this

Chris Andrews wrote:

> TO: WEBMASTER OR PERSON WHO CONTROLS YOUR WEBSITE
>
> It has come to our attention that you are using the term "Livecast" on the
> page referenced below, and possibly other pages.
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2000/freebsd-multimedia/20000123.freebs
> d-multimedia.html
>
> Livecast is a registered trademark that is owned by Livecast, Inc. We would
> like to ask you to please change Livecast to a generic or industry term such
> as "webcast" or "live webcast."
>
> Although this might seem like a minor matter to you, it is important to us
> that the Livecast trademark be understood by the public in an accurate
> manner. Your page gets referenced by search engines which can confuse the
> public. We have had to continually police the use of Livecast on the
> Internet, including recently filing a trademark infringement lawsuit in
> federal court against CNN/SI.
>
> Please change this page(s) on your website, and if you would email me back
> when the change is completed, I would appreciate it. If you also re-submit
> your website to the major search engines, then that will ensure that the
> public gets up-to-date content from your site when they do searches.
>
> Sincerely,
> Chris Andrews
>
> Chris Andrews
> President
> Livecast, Inc
> 300 Third St., Suite 5
> Los Altos, CA 94022
> phone 650-559-9975
> fax 650-559-9974
> chris@livecast.com
> Livecast is a VentureMakers Company

I think "LiveCast" is a pretty generic term already I would almost say
for sure one of the big three networks(ABC NBC CBS) used that term
during live news broadcasts a few years back before anybody even knew
what a "Personal Computer" was! I suppose also If I type the word
Kleenex I will get sued for a millon dollars also GIVE ME A BREAK!!
Personally I think it should be against the law to copyright generic
terms anyway. Anybody with common sense knows the word Livecast is
generic

just my 2 cents worth

Dave