Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 02:33:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Diane Vanthoff" <diane@toadshow.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best backup program

Diane Vanthoff <diane@toadshow.com.au> types:

Please don't send HTML to this list. Even more importantly, don't send
two copies of the message to the list!

> - ------=_NextPart_000_00A3_01C14CAF.1E070990
>
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what the best backup program for freebsd is?
>
> We would like to do a full system backup of our 2 free bsd servers.
>
> Should we use: dump/restore, tar, cpio, pax, amanda, or something else?

As mentioned in a recent thread on cp & pax; tar, cpio and pax all
lose a files flags. This isn't acceptable for a backup program. Amanda
is a networked backup system, and overkill if you've only got a couple
of boxes you want to backup. In that case, use dump.

	<mike

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.