Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:35:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Per Hedeland <per@hedeland.org>
To:        killing@multiplay.co.uk, Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches to allow running multiple vmware3 instances

"Steven Hartland" wrote:

>The second interface will most likely need a 255.255.255.255
>subnet mask just like a normal interface alias.

No, that won't work - each vmnet interface is (from the host
perspective) conceptually connected to a "real" network (this is
independant of my patches), which needs to have the IP address of the
host (the one configured on the interface), the address(es) of the
vmware guest(s) (can be multiple with different IP addresses, only you
cannot run them simultaneously), and broadcast address. I.e. the longest
netmask you can use is 255.255.255.252, for four-address subnets. And
the vmnet interfaces are all "equal".

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org