Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:40:28 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@FreeBSD.ORG, ache@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libedit replacement for libreadline

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:23:28PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> I may be misunderstanding what you mean here, but I don't think
> we should replace libreadline with libedit.  However, I do find
> this very interesting, as some of my friends and I have a program
> that we're going to switch from "gnu" to "bsd" licensing, and it
> would be nice if we could use this libedit instead of libreadline.
>=20
> Is there some way freebsd could switch base-system components to
> use libedit, and then turn libreadline into a port for any other
> ports which need libreadline?

I think hacking gdb to use libedit would cause a lot of pain for
future maintenance, although bc allegedly supports libedit already (I
say allegedly because last time I tried to build with it, it didn't
compile).  Vinum is the third thing in the base system which uses
libreadline: it could feasibly be rewritten.

However, gdb, vinum and bc all compile fine using the libreadline API
shim for libedit (modulo bugs and missing features which people need
to investigate and tell me about), leaving no dependencies on GNU
libreadline in the base system at the present time.

Kris
--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--