Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:39:00 -0400
From:      Sergei Shayevich <serega@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DOS partition Assignments

Hi there.

I've made somewhat of a mess on my machine and I am hoping somebody
could
help me straighten it out.
Here's the scoop:
I have 3 physical hard drives + CD-Rom (all IDE) on a P-100 with 128Mb
of RAM.
1st physical device (850Mb in size) is partitioned in two. 50Mb DOS
partition (drive "C") and the rest is dedicated to FreeBSD 2.1.0
2nd physical device (1.2G in size), is also partitioned in two. Drives
"D" and "F". Win95 (FAT 16) resides on drive "D", and as far as "F"
goes, it's a 160Mb DOS partition that was created for FreeBSD install
from
there.
3rd physical device (2G in size), drive "E" as you may have guessed has
WinNT4.0 on it. (FAT16)

The latter was added to the machine last, and win95 along with NT
chooses
this strange drive letter assignments which I learned to live with.
Now, here's the problem: before the 2Gig drive was added, the current
"F"
drive used to be "E". So in accordance with that the /etc/fstab file on
my machine remained unchanged and looks like this

/dev/wd0s2b        none        swap         sw 0 0
/dev/wd0a          /           ufs          rw 1 1
/dev/wd0s1         /dos/C      msdos        rw 0 0
/dev/wd1s2         /dos/E      msdos        rw 0 0
/dev/wd0s2e        /usr        ufs          rw 1 1
proc               /proc       procfs       rw 0 0

I would like to have the drives mounted with the consistancy to that of
Win95
and NT. Displaying partition "D" I am not worried about at this point,
but I would like to have /dos/E become /dos/F. I've learned that simply
changing the letter in the fstab file won't work. On boot the machine
panics, runs fsck or asks me to run it, and throws me into single user
mode.

I thought that even if I were to let them be swapped but could see the
2Gig drive, it would be better than  not having the 2Gig drive visible
at all. So I tried mounting it as "F", but doing "mount -t msdos
/dev/wd2s1 /dos/F" comes back with the message of device not being
configured.

What am I doing wrong and what can I try to fix it?
Any help would be appriciated.

Sergei