Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:44:19 -0500
From:      Madhusudan Singh <singh.madhusudan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A possibly simple query about pf on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE

After nearly a week of fighting the dual problem of OpenBSD 3.6 release
freezing on my hardware, and some rather odious personalities on the
misc@openbsd mailing list, I decided to install FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE on the
web server I am deploying and stick to it.

I went through the webpage on firewalling on FreeBSD
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-pf.html)
and decided to pick pf as my firewall solution. The OpenBSD guide on this
simply and elegantly written and is very easy to get the hang of.

I have created a packet filtering ruleset in /etc/pf.conf, enabled the
switches in /etc/rc.conf and am fiddling around with it. I tried to connect
on port ssh (22, I think) and did a few tests with different IP addresses
and it works as I expect.

Since this beast is going to be a webserver, I wrote the following filter
for port www :

(previously blocking all and scrubbing all of course)

pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if \
 port www flags S/SA keep state \
(max 200,source-track rule,max-src-nodes 100,max-src-states 3)

Question :

Is the above a reasonably good rule for my situation (if you have further
questions, fire away) ?

Second, whenever I load my rule set (pfctl -f /etc/pf.conf), I get a
warning :
No ALTQ support in kernel
ALTQ related functions disabled

Now, I would probably want to use queueing and bandwidth allotment if I am
to run a webserver that allows a few IP addresses to connect via ssh.

Question :

How do I enable ALTQ support in the kernel ? And since I have the choice of
either using a loadable module for pf (like I am doing) or compiling in PF
support into the kernel, which is better from a security and performance
pov ?

Another issue, unrelated to pf :

I am trying to install plone, zope (and a bunch of zope/plone related
packages) and apache on the machine. However, the pkg_add process quit with
some errors for some of the packages and refered me to some log (which
log ?) during installation.

Question :

Are versions in the ports tree for these packages "kosher", i.e., do they
compile, install and work cleanly ?