Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 03:32:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern.maxproc (system tunning)

I have a problem with my system.In fact I want to
tweak my system to get a better performance.As far as
I know freebsd meant to be slow first but tweaking it
it can be a system of fortue :) And it is now but
needs tweaking.
Anyway my problem:
How can I change kern.maxproc? When I try to raise
that value I get result of
------------------
su-2.04# sysctl  -w kern.maxproc=1000
sysctl: oid 'kern.maxproc' is read only
----------------
I think there are more values to tweak.And here they
are (at least ones that I could able to find to have a
better perfomance)

kern.maxvnodes=10000
kern.maxfiles=2500
kern.maxproc=1000
kern.maxfilesperproc=2500
kern.maxprocperuid=1500

I have used arbitrary values for them.Do I have to
make a balance among them?

2)There was a discussion in list about login.conf and
getrlimit.I am using default login.conf for my
system.That default login.conf states to use unlimited
maxpoc size.But it is limited.At least I can see that
some of those values in login.conf are limited with
limits command.Does kernel changes those values??