Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:13:53 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   more problems with ports

------=_NextPart_000_04C5_01C094D4.1ECCF4E0

Would someone please enlighten me on how to install ANYTHING from ports =
without always getting=20

"Stop in /usr/ports/xxxxxxxxxx"
"*** Error code 1"

Some time ago someone on this list advised me to setup CVSUP, so I have =
that updating ports daily & source weekly, however it appears to have =
made the ports problem worse.

Previously only some ports were afflicted by the "Error 1" bug, now it =
appears that every one has the same problem. If all ports were available =
as a sysinstall package it wouldn't be a problem, but seems the number =
of sysinstall packages is being decreased with later versions of =
FreeBSD. Not all of us wish to compile everything from source, =
especially as the instructions aren't always as descriptive as they =
could be for non-experts.

If I simply download the relevant distfile & pop it in =
/usr/ports/distfiles, will that be an effective workaround for this =
problem ??

------=_NextPart_000_04C5_01C094D4.1ECCF4E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Would someone please enlighten me on =
how to install=20
ANYTHING from ports without always getting </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Stop in =
/usr/ports/xxxxxxxxxx"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"*** Error code 1"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Some time ago someone on this list =
advised me to=20
setup CVSUP, so I have that updating ports daily &amp; source weekly, =
however it=20
appears to have made the ports problem worse.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Previously only some ports were =
afflicted by the=20
"Error 1" bug, now it appears that every one has the same problem. If =
all ports=20
were available as a sysinstall package it wouldn't be a problem, but =
seems the=20
number of sysinstall packages is being decreased with later versions of =
FreeBSD.=20
Not all of us wish to compile everything from source, especially as the=20
instructions aren't always as descriptive as they could be for=20
non-experts.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>If I simply download the relevant =
distfile &amp;=20
pop it in /usr/ports/distfiles, will that be an effective workaround for =
this=20
problem ??</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_04C5_01C094D4.1ECCF4E0--