Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 10:10:17 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@smtp.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW, natd, and one big headache

On 10/11/01 11:08 AM, Roger Merritt sat at the `puter and typed:
> At 10:56 PM 10/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >On 10/10/01 09:10 PM, David Kelly sat at the `puter and typed:
> >> [. . .]
> <snip>
>
> David's suggestions are good, and I'm going to try to preserve that e-mail
> for future guidance, but let me suggest another resource:
> 	<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/15>;

Yes, I'd have to say it was helpful, but I'm confused about the
rule numbering.  I've been having to count the rules out to put in the
whole number.  From David's message, I had assumed that a xx50 format
would automatically order the rule at a step of 50.  Doesn't look that
way.  Oh well.  It'd be nice . . .

And I've been to onlamp.  It did have a lot of info I didn't find in
the handbook.  Mostly a lot of clarification on details that were there.

> It's the O'Reilly Network BSD Dev Center FreeBSD Basics section and is
> really helpful on setting up firewalls using ipfw. She takes you through
> the process step by step in the four consecutive articles starting
> 05/10/2001, BSD Firewalls: IPFW Rulesets. The earlier articles give a lot
> of useful information about TCP/IP, packet formats, how to read packets
> captured, etc. The thing is, after reading her articles I have a better
> understanding of the terminology.

Exactly.  I've read a couple of them so far.  The thing is they are so
long that they require some uninterrupted time to keep focus.  Not
light reading, but very informative.  Time to focus on a couple natd
resources.

Anyway, I tried a slightly modified version of Dan O'Connor's example
at mostgraveconcern.com, which I swear hosed my connection before, and
it came up fine this time.  No nat still, I'm getting a
failed to write packet back (Permission denied)
error from natd in /var/log/security.

Thanks for the pointer.

--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Shick's Law:
  There is no problem a good miracle can't solve.