Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:30:54 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "xavian anderson macpherson" <professional3d@home.com>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>, <advocacy@freebsd.org>, <tagdot57@aol.com>, <mongor@mail.com>, <onybear@aol.com>
Subject:   Re: installing freebsd from windows nt without using boot disks

We are the borg!  You will be assimilated...

sound familiar?  =3DP  Blow it out your arse punk!  As for me in my house, I=
=20
shall use a Unix OS!

- Jim

At 05:24 PM 12/1/2000 -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> [...]
>list - the only whining children I have to deal with are mine; except
>they've grown past acting like you do. Once I read the claim that you
>paid for the right, I stopped reading.
>
>         <mike
>
>xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com> types:
> > i paid for the right to whine!  i still have a $60 box of software that=
 is
> > nothing more than a doorstop. ironically, the only way that i may be=20
> able to
> > use the software on the freebsd cd's, is to buy a MICROSOFT PRODUCT aka
> > INTERIX.  THE ONLY REDEMPTION YOU HAVE NOW IS TO WRITE A FREEBSD KERNEL=
=20
> THAT
> > FUNCTIONS AS A DLL OR EXE IN WINDOWS!  if you can make all of the=
 stability
> > features of freebsd portable to windows, such that freebsd becomes a=20
> package
> > that windows users can add-on to their existing platform, to function=20
> in the
> > same way as the ANTICRASH and other utilities that i have running on my
> > system, then you may have some sort of redemption in terms of a=20
> future.  but
> > based on what i have included in this email below, freebsd and everyone=
=20
> elso
> > too) has a very limited term of existance in the face of increasing
> > MICROSOFT encroachment into unix interoperability.  UNIX WILL BECOME A
> > UTILITY FOR WINDOWS.  think i'm crazy?  read (the third paragrph) below!
> > THE ONLY THING THAT PREVENTED MICROSOFT FROM HAVING ABSOLUTE DOMINANCE
> > BEFORE, WAS IT'S LACK OF A VIABLE UNIX IMPLEMENTATION.  even APPLE=
 computer
> > now has a linux platform.  when MICROSOFT does with linux what freebsd=
 did,
> > and allows linux to run in windows NT/2000, linux and unix will fall=
 under
> > the single auspices of MICROSOFT.  whether that will be functionally=20
> true or
> > not is irrelevant.  MICROSOFT ONLY HAS TO CREATE THE IMPRESSION OR
> > APPEARANCE OF COMPLETE INTEROPERABILITY.  ONCE MICROSOFT HAS NEGATED THE
> > ARGUEMENT OF WINDOWS VS UNIX (BY PORTING UNIX TO WINDOWS) THERE WILL
> > NOLONGER BE ANY ATTENTION PAID TO ANYTHING OTHER THAN WINDOWS.  IT WAS A
> > HEROIC ATTEMPT AT THE PRESIDENCY, BUT MICROSOFT CONTROLS THE=20
> ELECTION!  IT'S
> > OVER!!
> >
> > [this paragraph was written before i added everything about INTERIX in=
 the
> > paragraph above.  i only leave this here as history, as freebsd will=20
> shortly
> > become.  MS INTERIX may answer all of the questions and aspirations i
> > previously had.]  THE QUESTION WAS, WHEN WILL IT BE POSSIBLE TO INSTALL
> > FREEBSD FROM WINDOWS NT WITHOUT HAVING TO USE BOOT DISKS TO DO SO.  I=
 GEUSS
> [...]
> > reasonable, based on the statements i read on the box.  superior is just
> > that, SUPERIOR!  it is a term of absolutes.  it is was also further=
 claimed
> > in the 800 page handbook (which was my main reason for buying the
> > power-pak), that freebsd had a higher level of developement than linux=
 and
> > was therefore more stable as a result.  (based on these claims, why=20
> should i
> > have expected to not be able to use the equipemnt i was already using in
> > linux?)  i had no reason to think that freebsd was in being selective in
> > it's statements of superiority.  that box should have had a big=20
> asteRISK! on
> > it.  with more emphasis on RISK!  as in buy at your own RISK!; the
> > statements made herein do not reflect the qualitites purported to be=
 true.

> > now, while you gloat at the apparent triumph the unix community may=20
> think it
> > gained by MS buying INTERIX and now including it as part of the windows
> > environment, IT IS NOT A TRIUMPH.  the bottomline is that MS is not=20
> about to
> > go away.  YOU CAN THINK OF THIS MICROSOFT ACQUISITION AS THE ANT OR WASP=
 (i
> > forget which does what to whom) THAT LAYS IT'S EGGS IN THE BODY OF THE
> > OTHER, ONLY TO HAVE IT'S LARVAE EAT IT'S HOST FROM THE INSIDE OUT!! =
 they
> > will never forfeit their dominance on the computing community, no=20
> matter how
> > infantile you may think their systems are.  MS  will eat you from the=20
> inside
> > out.  as i stated in another email, MS  can integrate any opensource=
 unix
> > (and/or linux) into the windows environment it wants to.  and it will. =
 it
> > (MS) has already stated that they are going include INTERIX into the
> > SERVICES FOR UNIX in future releases.  when MS completely integrates=
 unix
> > (INTERIX) into windows 2000, so that any unix application can run on=
 that
> > (win2000) platform, without having a separate unix kernel to provide=
 that
> > functionality, NOONE WILL WRITE UNIX APPLICATIONS FOR ANYTHING ELSE THAN
> > WHAT MICROSOFT DECLARES IS THE LEGITIMATE UNIX ENVIRONMENT FOR WINDOWS=
 (AND
> > HENCE THE WORLD)!  microsoft has the power to make such a pronouncement=
 for
> > all the world to follow.  and once said, the world will do just that,
> > FOLLOW!  including you!
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/zipdocs/interix_technotes.exe  this=
 is
> > the link for all the documentation regarding the functionaslity of=
 INTERIX
> > in the windows environment.  of course you need windows to read it. so=
 for
> > those of you who don't have windows, i'll download and extract it, and
> > repackage it as a zip file to attach to this email.  even if you don't=
 use
> > windows at all, it makes sense to know what MICROSOFT intends to do=20
> with the
> > unix community.  CANNABALISM couldn't be better!
> >
> > "Interix 2.2 is a perfect complement to our current UNIX=
 interoperability
> > solution, and in the future, we plan to combine this functionality with
> > Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX into one comprehensive UNIX=
 application
> > migration and interoperability solution."   DO YOU SEE THE WRITING ON=
 THE
> > WALL?
> >
> > ANY CLAIM THAT YOU MAKE AGAINST THE LEGITIMACY OF RUNNING UNIX IN=
 WINDOWS,
> > CAN BE EQUALLY MADE AGAINST RUNNING LINUX IN FREEBSD.  WHAT JUSTIFIES=
 ONE
> > JUSTIFIES THE OTHER!!  Microsoft may get it wrong to start out with, but
> > that won't be the case for long.  they want absolute domination.  and=
 they
> > will do whatever it takes to do that.  INTERIX is the "shot across the=
 bow"
> > of the unix community.  it serves to give notice of the MS agenda to=
 usurp
> > any legitimacy of unix as their own.  when (previously unix) developers
> > realize that they have the absolute standard of windows on which to=
 build
> > their packages, all further unix developement will be windows unix (as
> > defined only by MICROSOFT) developement.  it will nolonger be a matter=
 of
> > which version of unix is superior to another.  that question will be=
 MOOT.
> > it will be as it has always been, a question of profitability and=
 expense.
> > NO, I DON'T REALLU LIKE THE IDEA OF ONLY HAVING MICROSOFT CONTROLLING
> > EVERYTHING.  but there are plenty of things in this life that i don't
> > particularly like.  and my or your disliking the reality of the world in
> > which we live, does not change that world.  only intelligent directed=20
> action
> > will do that.  my statement about writing the freebsd kernel as a=
 windows
> > dll or exe mayseem reprehensible to you, but ultimately your survival=
 will
> > depend on that very act of infiltration.  you cannot stop the=
 INEVITABILITY
> > of MICROSOFT porting unix into windows NT/2000.  that is clearly their
> > intent.  noone is going to want to write unix apllications that don't
> > conform to any standards that MICROSOFT imposes by the dictates of their
> > massive dominance.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/interix/default.asp
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/interix/features.asp
> > http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2000/Feb00/InterixPR.asp
> >
> > "Interix provided all of the UNIX functionality necessary to efficiently
> > move the code to Windows NT," Klinect said. "One of the key advantages=
 was
> > that the code ported to Interix could still be deployed on the IRS'=
 legacy
> > UNIX systems during its transition to Windows NT, maintaining the=
 required
> > 24x7 full functionality for this mission-critical application."
> >
> > Interix 2.2 eases the migration of existing UNIX applications and=20
> scripts by
> > providing a robust, high-performance environment for running such
> > applications. It allows users with UNIX environments to take advantage=
 of
> > the benefits of the Windows environment without having to rewrite=
 critical
> > applications. In addition, users can immediately use the full=
 Windows-based
> > application development environment to develop native Win32=AE API-based
> > applications. Interix 2.2 provides over 300 utilities and tools and is=
=20
> fully
> > integrated with the Windows desktop, security model and file system.=20
> Interix
> > 2.2 is a native subsystem to Windows, providing the highest performance=
 for
> > running UNIX applications. The Interix 2.2 Software Development Kit,=
 which
> > is included with Interix 2.2, supports over 1,900 UNIX APIs and helps=
 ease
> > migration of existing UNIX applications to the Interix environment.
> >
> > Interix 2.2 provides UNIX users with a familiar environment and set of=
=20
> tools
> > to leverage their existing UNIX expertise. For example, the tools and
> > utilities behave exactly as they would on other UNIX systems while
> > preserving the look and feel of UNIX applications, which eliminates the=
=20
> need
> > to retrain users. Interix 2.2 also provides extensive scripting support=
 and
> > enables users to maintain the use of common scripting languages and=
 tools.

> > <IF I HAD ONLY KNOWN ABOUT THIS BEFORE, I WOULD NOT HAVE BROUGHT=
 FREEBSD!!>

> > Interix 2.2 brings Microsoft customers one step closer to its vision of=
> > single desktop computer for all uses by providing a complete enterprise
> > platform to run all Windows-based, UNIX and Internet applications.=
 Interix

 http://shop.microsoft.com/Products/Products_Feed/Online/WindowsServicesforU=
> > IX[759]/ProductOverview.asp
> >
> > i just found what may be the very thing i was asking for.  after=20
> writing the
> > above paragraph, i went back to the link above and did further reading. =
> > came across something called INTERIX.  so once again i did a net search=
 and
> > came up with a site that sells it.  in reading, i found that it is now a=
 MS
> [...]
 as
> > long as MS uses an open source version of unix, they could do anything=
 they
> > want to integrate it into the existing windows environment.  and all=
 that
> > any of you can do is sit back and wipe your eyes.  WHIMPER WHIMPER=20
> WHIMPER!!
> > you have basically written your own obituarary.  because windows can=
 freely
> > integrate open source systems, but the same is not true of the open=
 source
> > community.  hence there will ultimately be no justification for your
> > existance.  you will be relegated to the status of footnote; and=20
> frankly the
> > sooner the better.  the system that MS ultimately chooses for their
> > integrated environment, will become the status quo.  if you thought that
> > windows was dominant before, wait until they put unix interoperability=
 into
> > the windows NT/2000 framework.  your only choice is to set the lead, by
> > beating MS to the punch.  and that can only be done if you make freebsd=
 and
> > linux operate from within NT/2000 before MS does.  because mock my=20
> word.  it
> > will happen.  and you will be left out in the cold with the tears frozen=
> > your face.  ; )
> >
> > ALL OF WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN in the paragraphs BELOW IS NOW MOOT.  I HAVE
> > FOUND THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTIONS I HAD ABOVE.  INTERIX 2.2  the only=
 thing
> > that you will possibly have over MS is price.  yes their prices are
> > rediculous.  but then, based on my experience with freebsd and linux,=
 that
> > old saying of `you get what you pay for', has never been more truthful.
> > don't bother bitching about my remarks.  as i have already seen that i=
 am
> > not the only one who has made them.  i simply represent your best hope=
 of
> > survival.  i am a windows user that tried linux and then freebsd.  and i
> > have done so at an expense that is completely unrecoverable.  if you=
 don't
> > like my attitude, just remember that there are thousands of prospective
> > users just like me who will be no more tolerable of your shortcomings=20
> than i
> > have been.  and your arrogance will be your destruction.  something i=
 will
> > greatly revel in.  you purported to be the final solution to my and
> > everyoine else's problem with regards to internet computing=20
> systems.  that's
> > a lie.
> >
> > http://www.provantage.com/scripts/go.dll/-s/fp_47736
> > http://www.provantage.com/FC_MCSB.HTM
> >
> > quite frankly, if i find the means to compile XFREE86-4.0 and gnome for=
 NT,
> > i would probably never look back to linux or freebsd.  i have already=
 found
> > numerous unix components to run under windows.  and once i have learned=
 how
> > to use all of them, that will probably settle once and for all the=
 question
> > of which system to use. ATT and others make various products which=20
> allow for
> > the running of unix programs in a windows environment.  i had some of=
 them
> > installed before i reinstalled NT and thereby erased those systems.  i=
 am
> > now deciding which ones to reinstall.
> >
> > so the bottomline is this.  when i am able to install freebsd from a=20
> running
> > windows nt system without the use of bootdisks (which supply the means=
> > create and write to UFS, then and only then will i be willing to use
> > freebsd.  i installed NT (six days) after becoming thoughroughly=
 frustated
> > with freebsd.  i need to have a completely functional heterogenious
> > operating environment.  one which runs windows nt and freebsd on the=
 same
> > computer (preferably with only one filesystem; NTFS COMPRESSED).  if=20
> freebsd
> > is not capable of being installed from a running NT-environment without
> > having to be rebooted, that is an absolutely indisputable indicator that
> > freebsd cannot operate cohesively within an NT-system. it's not up to
> > microsoft to provide the means to read and write between NTFS and UFS
> > without the question of damaging either system.  freebsd is the alien,=
 not
> > MS.  when freebsd generates the code that allows NT to write to UFS and=
 UFS

 http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
>Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,        email for more information.

- Jim
- NOTJames
- jconner@enterit.com

- | Today's errors, in contrast:                                           |
- | Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935" |
- | UNIX    - "segmentation fault - core dumped"                           |
- | Humans  - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"                       |
- (To view this properly use a non-proportional font in your MUA)