Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:13:14 +0600
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, mtaylor@cybernet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Wilcox <mewilcox@unt.edu>
Subject:   SQLed FreeBSD [Was: Re: LDAPed FreeBSD]

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> This discussion is diverging a bit from this list's charter.  Hence,
> I'll be brief.
>
> Amancio Hasty wrote:
> > True LDAP (v2 or v3) does not provide record locking . Now the question is
> > does Novell's NDS 8 -- a native LDAP v3 -- , Oracle's Directory
> > Server or Microsoft Active Directory does if they do then how ?
>
> Commonly through other directory (or database) access mechanisms.  Or,

What about using SQL: system services as SQL clients?
SQL's advantages are locking, transactions, views, relative portability and
extensibility. One can use MySQL server as a directory, another - Oracle or
Postgres etc.

Of course, there are some disadvantages (please, point out some...)

> possibly, though some private or experimental LDAPv3 control or extended
> op they added to their client/servers (LDAPv3 is an extensible protocol).
>
> > Again my emphasis is on configuring network services or other system services
> > if appropiate and to provide a HTML interface which is sufficiently rich to be
> > user friendly.

OK. Then PHP comes to mind (again with SQL :-)

--
        Konstantin V. Chuguev.          System administrator of Southern
        http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/      Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,