Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:48:42 -0400
From:      Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1GB ram, how much SWAP?

found a recent thread on this in freebsd-hackers:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/search.cgi?words=swap+huge+mem+systems&max=50&sort=score&index=recent&source=freebsd-hackers

the consensus seems to be that if you want to be able to get
crash dumps, you need a single partition == to your memory, which
doesn't need to be a swap partition (if you have an old disk online,
you don't want to use it for swap because it's slow, but it's ok
for dumps); if you plan to add memory, you should start with
more swap. nothing mentioned about efficiency of memory usage,
it would be interesting to know more about that...

i think if there are problems with a machine crashing, it wouldn't
be hard to put an old ide drive in it, and configure for crash
dumps. in the meantime, 1GB ram + .5GB swap still seems like lots?

- rob