Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:25:19 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pccard disruptions : how did it go?

In message <199912152352.HAA09649@laurasia.com.au> Michael Kennett writes:
: To confirm:
:
:   The new pccard code contains the `controller pccard' config directive.
:     - the source code is in  sys/dev/pcic
:                              sys/dev/pccard
:
:   The old pccard code contains the `controller card' config directive.
:     - the source code is in  sys/pccard
:
: Is this correct ?

Yes.  That's right.

: Thank you for your help. I'm not asking you to do it all, but
: instead what needs to be done, and in what direction I should be
: going!  I think hacking the xe driver to work with the newbus kludge
: is less than desirable.  Instead, I'd like to aim for support under
: the new pccard code.

It is indended attach will be the same, and that probe will nearly be
the same, at least at first.  The probe code for the drivers will be
longer for newcard in that it will have to claim the device if the
driver supports it.  In the old pccard code probe is just a nice dummy
which calls the usual probe routine for its side effects (the sio
driver's probe routine leaves the uart in a known state, for example).

I've been toying with the idea of having an identify routine which
would make it possible to have the same binary for both the old driver
and new, but that's not completely settled.

I'm slogging through hooking up the newbus routines to the old chip
tag stuff.  I need to map the rid into the window that they currently
return.  I also need to figure out how to get the card's address (in
card space) mapped with the allocation routines that we have now.
Then I move into pccard and convert the chip tag calls into newbus
calls.  I also need to go through and make sure that the softc/ivars
stuff connected and working properly.

The pcic is the bridge driver.  It will have n children, one per
slot.  Each slot will have zero or more children drivers based on the
cards that are connected.  It is intended that we'll support multiple
functions in this way.

The pccard children devices will have pcic_ivars as their ivars.  The
children of the pccard children will have pccard_ivars.

: However, I've noticed that the file  /dev/pcic/i82365_isasubr.c is missing
: from the Dec 12 -current sources, and compilation fails for `controller
: pccard'.

Did you rerun config (or did I botch the commit and not commit conf/files
wich removed it)?  Oh, looks like my botch.... sorry about
that... fixed.

What can you do to help?

Warner