Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:33:51 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        andrew@scoop.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is gcc version so old?

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.1000829152951.14120A-100000@aurora.scoop.co.nz> Andrew McNaughton writes:
: Using a FreeBSD-3.4 box, I notice that it uses gcc version 2.7.2.3.  This
: came out in January 1997, which seems rather an old version to use.  Can
: anyone tell me why this is so?

Because there were no more stable versions of gcc when 3.0 was
released.  2.8 was too unstable at the time to use because it had,
iirc, optimizer bugs that preculded its use in the kernel.  But it may
have been a few other user programs.

: I haven't yet found out what version of gcc is standard with the latest
: FreeBSD versions.  Has it changed?

4.x ships with 2.95 plus a few bug fixes.

: Where can I get this sort of
: information on the FreeBSD website?

I don't know.

Warner