Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 10:40:42 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: Can anyone explain...?

<<On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 00:14:44 +0100 (MET), J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> said:

> Btw., i noticed that my timezone name has changed from MET to CET.  Is
> this official policy now?

As I mentioned in the commit message for the data files, MET is
history because it never made any sense (it was sort of a bizarre
half-translation of the German `MEZ'); all English-language references
that the timezone maintainers were able to locate used the phrase
``Central European Time'', so the abbreviation was changed to match.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick