Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 18:32:33 -0400
From:      Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>, Anders Nordby <anders@fix.no>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, core@daemonnews.org
Subject:   Re: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 10:54:10PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Yes, there's no shortage of BSD followers bashing GPL, and vis-versa.
> But, I guess I don't see the bashing being carried out by the BSD
> leadership, like McKusick for example. Contrast this to Linus calling
> MacOS X "crap"

He did not call MacOS X crap. He said Mach was crap:

	"Frankly, I think it's a piece of crap," Torvalds says of
	Mach, the microkernel on which Apple's new operating system
	is based. "It contains all the design mistakes you can make,
	and manages to even make up a few of its own."

I've read kernel list messages were Linus and other kernel hackers
talked about how much BSD or other OS did something better, and what
they needed to do to fix that problem. That he (Linus) doesn't like Mach
is nothing new. I think I've even heard a few BSD people criticize Mach
over the years.

--