Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:09:39 -0700
From:      garya@dreamchaser.org
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supra Express 288i PnP modem

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net> wrote:
>> You might want to mention that until FreeBSD supports Plug and Play,
>> the following modem *will not work* in this environment; it apparently
>> has no default port addr and irq:
>>
>> Supra Express 288i PnP
>
>Is there any way of setting the port and IRQ via a DOS program?  Most of
>the 'software selectable' hardware I've gotten has some program to setup
>the software under DOS.

Yes, but I don't think its sufficient.
Here's what I tried:

I had it properly configured and it worked under win95 at a more or less
standard place; I can't remember if it was 0x3f8 @ irq4 or 0x2f8 @ irq3.
>From there I shutdown win95 and soft booted freebsd.  So the system was
never powered off, but did go through a normal boot sequence.  The modem
was never recognised.  I also tried configuring kernels to look at all
8 combinations of the standard port addrs and irq 3 & 4, and the thing
never showed up at any of them.  Then I got pissed and sent some mail
to supra support.  My question and their reply:

>>I just purchased a Micron system with a SupraExpress 288i PnP modem in it,
>>and am trying to configure the system to run FreeBSD, a UNIX system.
>>Micron cannot answer my questions, and suggested I contact you.
>>I need to know what the default hardware configuration for this modem is,
>>since the system does not support PnP.  I tried all the standard io addresses
>>and irq's and the modem didn't respond. (0x3f8 @ irq3 & irq4,
>>0x2f8 @ irq3 & irq4, 0x3e8 @irq3 & irq4, 0x2e8 @ irq3 & irq4)
>>Does this device have a default address and irq, or does it only work in a
>>PnP environment?

>It only works in a PnP environment or with the PnP Utility Install in a Win
>3.1, 3.11, Win95 or DOS environment.

I did not go to the trouble of trying to run the utility.
I assumed that since I had it properly configured under win95, then did a
soft shutdown and boot to freebsd, and I would need to do the soft shutdown
and boot regardless, that the utility wouldn't make it behave any differently.

I gave up, decided never to buy another supra modem, and switched it with
a US Robotics running in another system.

Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com         (business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org (personal)