Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:47:00 -0600
From:      "Alex Huppenthal" <alex@aspenworks.com>
To:        "Harti Brandt" <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        "Richard Hodges" <rh@matriplex.com>, <freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATM 4.3 and so on

I'm very happy to hear this might arrive in May. Cheers to you. :-) UNI 4.x
is interesting. Our ATM network vendor offers just UNI 3.1, I'm guessing 4.x
is backward compatible.

Will this operate at all like the 'atm'  setup does? Is the intent to
replace the HARP stack? Will we need a new 'atm' command?

Will FreeBSD have a device entry like hfa0 and sub devices like atm0 atm1,
etc associated with the PVCs?

Is the 'atm' command functionality left up to a C-coder to write? :-)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new.:-)

I really would love to stick with FreeBSD for this ATM cloud edge-device. I
like IPFW, dummynet and other familiar places.

I don't want to create this end-point ATM<=>Ethernet device using Linux.

I can't get away from the fragmentation error. If I could, all else would be
adequate for the near term.. Is there anyway I can debug the existing
OS/driver? 4.2 is running.. albeit with a fragmentation problem. I must have
a solution for deployment in a few days. Even if it's an interim solution.

Desperately seeking solution. :-)