Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:59:43 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   standard backup programs

I checked out the backupcentral comparison of unix backup progs.  One of the
big issues for me is incrementals.  The man page for tar claims it does
them, but it doesn't mention if it uses a stamp file, like dumpdates.  Has
anyone gotten this to work?

Also, at the risk of being branded as a luser, I would like to be able to
browse my backups easily with midc, and so far, only tar does that.  If I
do not need system critical filesystem backups, but just personal archives
and backups to a zip disk, is there any reason to use anything besides tar?
Greg Lehey said it the book tar can do about all you need, but I just wanted
to get a few other opinions.  I think right now I am leaning toward
flexbackup with tar.

jcm
--
"I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates