Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:30:17 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.7 - syslog problem?

  Hi all.

  I installed 2.2.7 on a HP Netserver E30 P5/166 without any trouble (I've
done it many times on machines of the same kind) to replace an old 486/66
with 2.2.5. The system is our internal SMTP/DNS/PPP and fax server. I use
also Samba, NFS and other applications/services.
  The fax server is a mail gateway written by myself, based on the last
version of mgetty+sendfax, ghostscript and mpack. There is also a front-end
for a Windows application which prints on Samba in PS and the PS source is
delivered to a message-builder daemon via pseudo-terminals (I did it for
trial).
  As you can see the configuration is at least a little bit complex, but
everything worked pretty well with 2.2.5 for months. With 2.2.7 I've got a
strange problem which I'm unable to solve: the fax server logs everything
with syslog, INFO and ERR levels, default USER facility. I use the log for
statistical purposes. The problem is that since I moved on the new 2.2.7
box, sometimes syslog works and sometimes don't. Often syslog doesn't work
in the morning, before 10:40-11:10 AM (!?), but I can't see a definite rule.
  I tried to change facility to LOCAL0/1/etc, but it doesn't matter.
  Of course newsyslog isn't involved and there aren't processes ran by CRON
that clear the log.

  Any ideas?

---

  Stefano Riva