Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:08:46 +0000
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: attaching a keyboard later

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:26:51AM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Brian Candler wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 05:37:35PM -0500, Alain Hebert wrote:
> >> What works for me:
> >>
> >>    In device.hints -> hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"
> >
> > Interesting - then the man page is wrong? (i.e. 0x1 should mean that if you
> > have no keyboard attached, the atkbd driver will *not* be installed)
>
> The man page is fine.  You are invited to consider what numeric value setting
> bit 0 actually gives you...  :-)

Setting bit 0 gives a numeric value of 0x1. Yes?

The man page says that "This option prevents the driver from being
installed" if a keyboard is not actually attached to the system at bootup
time.

The OP wanted to ensure that his keyboard would work if plugged in later.

According to the manpage, then, he would need to set this flag to 0x0 (or at
least, any value with the LSB set to 0, i.e. any even value)

According to someone else, it's necessary to set hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

Therefore, I perceive a conflict in information. If I'm overlooking
something, can you please point it out to me?

Thanks,

Brian.