Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 2015 04:18:51 -0500
From:      alexmcwhirter@triadic.us
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>, freebsd-sparc64 <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sparc64 doesn't care about you, and you shouldn't care about Sparc64

On 2015-11-05 18:34, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 5 November 2015 at 15:24, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 02:13:29PM -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>> We don't have to expect clang support to work. Just having someone
>>> champion the external toolchain stuff and getting sparc64
>>> world/kernel/release building from say, sparc64-gcc 5.x would be
>>> enough.
>>>
>> sparc64 has been the first arch that have been tested with external
>> toolchain:
>> build and run just fine.
>>
>> The problem with the external toolchain is that if you are not able to
>> cross
>> build the ports until you get a working toolchain available via
>> packages, you
>> are doomed.
>>
>> And we do not have that
>
> Right. You don't end up with a toolchain built if you use an external
> toolchain to build. I discovered this amusement when I first got this
> up for MIPS. :)
>

> -adrian

So is the problem in question the lack of being able to use clang/llvm?
Or that newer hardware is unsupported? sparc64 supports sun4u which is
most boxes, Fujitsu Sparc64 boxes also work quite well. The only thing
really missing is sun4v and a few drivers here and there. OpenBSD has
support for almost all of the newer Sun/Oracle boxes, which shouldn't
bee too hard to port over.

http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html

Because of the lack of sun4v support i have moved over to a custom
illumos distro, but one of the things im working on there is to replace
gcc with clang/llvm. If it means saving the sparc64 port i will gladly
move some of my work over to freebsd.