Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 20:00:42 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 release sysinstall

>>> Poul-Henning Kamp said:
 > > Howdy,
 > >
 > > We have the cmu snmp stuff it should be in the xperiment ports section and
 > > we also got Pohl-Koening who wrote the original tcl snmp package which the
 > > cmu people borrow to implement their tcl interface. So track down Pohl pul
 > > him by his arm and ask for his snmp package 8)
 > >
 > > BTW: a side note --- at Cisco I used Pohl's snmp package to flush out bugs
 > > in cisco snmp implementation . Actually we went hog wild with his package
     and
 > > implemented a mini network management platform 8)
 > >

 > Querying foreign hosts with SNMP is considered bad style, and is very
 > unlikely to yield responses anyway.
Hi,

"bad style" and "foreign hosts" not sure what to make out of that if
the hosts are freebsd hosts or are hosting freebsd. At any rate for sure
we can use snmp to query hosts which are running snmp daemons.

Hmm... If querying hosts with snmp is considered bad style, what is
an acceptable protocol to query a host?

You can query my "foreign host " in style 8)

rah# snmpwalk -v 1 rah.star-gate.com public system
system.sysDescr.0 = "Unix FreeBSD 2.0."
system.sysObjectID.0 = OID: enterprises.cmu.1.1
system.sysUpTime.0 = Timeticks: (86509) 0:14:25
system.sysContact.0 = "Amancio Hasty , Tel. (415) 495 3046."
system.sysName.0 = "rah.star-gate.com."
system.sysLocation.0 = "San Francisco, California."
system.sysServices.0 = 76