Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:01:46 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Keith <keith@red.hot.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uvscan McAfee

Hi Keith,

keith@red.hot.net.au said:
> I just installed  uvscan and inflex and it all works fine.

> I wish to buy a licence for the software and went to the web site,
> What product is it ? and the site www.nai.com is for the US or
> Canadian only and I'm in .au

From the NAI home page, pull down the list that shows "NAI Worldwide"
and go to the item that says "Other Countries Visit Global English Site"
which will then give you a "Buy Products" option in the "BUY/TRY"
section, from which you can lists of sales offices, and so on.

In terms of what product you want, good luck!  When NAI got the
McAfee stuff they started producing "suites" of software which means
you generally have to buy more than you want.  You'll need to speak
to their sales people to find out what the smallest suite is that
includes VirusScan for UNIX.

However (since you don't get anything for free--including this help)
I'm actually trying to get our company to move away from uvscan.

Don't get me wrong, it works quite adequately on our Solaris servers
but apart from them making you buy (well, annually license, at least)
more than you want, I have had a couple of problems with the product.
One minor quibble was when they decided a good way to detect the
Anna Kournikova virus was to consider anything with the string
"AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs" (or whatever the attachment was called)
infected.  Which would mean, for example, that I couldn't have sent
this e-mail.  And you couldn't report it to NAI via e-mail...
They had that one fixed within a day of us reporting it.

My real problem is that UNIX seems to be very much the "poorer cousin".
When the Melissa virus came out, the signature for NT appeared within
hours.  There was no signature for UNIX because the engine couldn't
detect it anyway, and the next engine release wasn't due for two or
three months(!)  I'm just happy we don't run Outlook...

We've also looked at, for example, their e-mail gateway virus scanner,
and many of the features in the NT version just aren't supported on
the UNIX version (such as their "Outbreak Manager" which will stop
processing e-mail from a domain if the frequency of messages reaches
a pre-defined threshold).

I'd rather give my money to someone who seems to be serious about
supporting UNIX.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319