Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:27:19 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        Graeme@echidna.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technical questions about BSD

Greg Black wrote:

> > > Why bother?  You're clearly not qualified.
> >
> > I don't think it matters if he is qualified or not. FreeBSD gets
> > unfortunately little press, and can use all it can get.
>
> This is akin to saying that any publicity is better than no
> publicity.  But that's a philosophy that, while suited to
> predatory scum like billg, has no place in rational people's
> thinking.
>
> > Even if his
> > story has very little useful information, it can't be more harmful than
> > no story.
>
> I happen to disagree.

<snip>

I think the problem here is that your response to the journalist would more
likely result in *bad* press for FreeBSD than no press.

> If this means anything, why slam an iconoclastic opinion?

It's not the iconoclasm that's in question as I see it, but the way it was
expressed. In particular the ad hominem nature of your response.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna