Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:16:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Ron Farrer <rbf@toxic.magnesium.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AXPpci/33 boards

On 13 Oct 1999, Ron Farrer wrote:

> Mike Smith (mike@smith.net.au) wrote:
>

> > > I'm doing a bit of "question answering" for a guy who deals in "big"
> > > system secondhand equipment (VAX 11/780, for example).  He has about 800
> > > AXPpci/33 boards he picked up -- 166 MHz chip, no cache memory.....  Any
> > > suggestions on what an asking price should be?  I have no idea on this one
> > > -- the only Alpha prices I ever really deal with are for the bigger machines...
> >
> > Somewhere between $5 and $10 apiece, realistically.  If he can find a
> > pile of old '486 motherboards and pull the cache chips from them, he
> > could add another $5 or so to the asking price.
>
> I don't know... They seem to go for $50 - 200 on eBay (the latter with the
> cache chips). I bought one about 1.5 years ago with 166 MHz, 256K cache,
> and 32MB mem for $200 off eBay. They may be slow compaired to newer boxes,
> but they sure make good work horses!

Umm, no, the ones going for those better prices are the PC164nn boards,
which support better CPUs and are faster.  Mike's right.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)