Date:      23 Nov 2000 06:29:45 -0800
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   toshiba 40005CDS - getting modem card working

Running FreeBSD-4.0 on a Toshiba 4005CDS
Modem card 3COM/Noteworthy 56k
PCMCIA card `Network Everywhere (lynksys)' Fast Ether.

Been running the OS above for some time, but stopped configuring after
I got the NIC working (Complements to Sean O'Connell).  I use this
laptop in conjunction with a desktop machine running Redhat Linux 6.2.
That machine is DSL connnected and set to IP-masq the toshiba so
haven't really needed to configure ppp until now.

I've  forgotten most of what I learned while initially configuring the
pcmcia card.  So am a little lost as to where to start.

Reading the ppp sections from handbook I see I must have:
 pseudo-device  tun 1 or similar in my compiled kernel.

Grepping the config file I see:
  grep 'tun' kernel1   <== installed kernel

  pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
  #pseudo-device  gif     4       # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling

Whereas grepping GENERIC I see

  pseudo-device   tun       # Packet tunnel.
  pseudo-device   gif   4   # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling  <=not commented

Do I need the gif part inabled?  And is the tun line sufficient?

On to the modem card(3COM/Noteworthy 56k):

Far as I recall this card was never properly recognized:
A few items from dmesg:
  pcic0: <Intel i82365> at port 0x3e0-0x3e1 on isa0
  pcic0: Polling mode
  pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
  pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0

[...]

  pccard: card inserted, slot 0
  pccard: card inserted, slot 1

[...]

  ed0 at port 0x300-0x31f irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
  ed0: address 00:e0:98:80:08:48, type Linksys (16 bit)

(The NIC referred to above works... no problem there)

And a few other messages that appear just after the login prompt when
booting up:

  Initial rc.i386 initialization: apm linux Nov 23 06:17:49 satellite pccardd[49]:
  Card "Toshiba America"("3CXM056-BNW") [3COM/NoteWorthy 56K Modem] [(null)] match
  ed "Toshiba America" ("3CXM056-BNW") [(null)] [(null)]

  [...]
  Local package initialization:Nov 23 06:17:54 satellite pccardd[49]: driver alloc
  ation failed for Toshiba America(3CXM056-BNW): Device not configured

The relevant section from /etc/pccard.conf

  # 3Com/NoteWorthy 56K modem (bundled with Toshiba notebooks)
  card "Toshiba America" "3CXM056-BNW"
      config	0x20 "sio" ?
      insert	logger -t pccard:$device -s NoteWorthy 56K PCMCIA Modem inserted
      remove	logger -t pccard:$device -s NoteWorthy 56K PCMCIA Modem remove

I've forgotten what the above means or does.

A shove in the right direction to begin figuring out how to establish
ppp connection with above mentioned modem card would be a good start.