Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 16:23:12 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        peter@haywire.dialix.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Some makefile patches to stop the !#^%!& include files being touched

>Seriously though..  I suspect that a "cmp -s" will fail for many
							     ^^^^all
>static libs, merely because of the "ranlib" or "ranlib -t" after the
>install.. even though they are otherwise identical.

This can be avoided by setting RANTOUCH to `${ECHO} foo' in
/etc/make.conf.  Then you would probably have to install the
libraries without changing their timestamp to avoid getting
warnings about the symbol table being out of date.  There are
some hacked versions of `install' around that will do this.
I use one and never noticed the missing `cmp -s'.

Libraries often change anyway because the dates of files in
them change.  This shouldn't cause a relink, but it does because
most programs depend on the static libraries although they are
linked against the shared libraries.  Linking is fast, but after
relinking you have to reinstall in case something really changed.
Loop.

Bruce