Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:52:07 -0400
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and strange geometries on Inspiron 8000.

Greg Prosser wrote:
[ ... ]
> Using partition magic (this seems to be the only way I can seem to get
> Windows idea of the partition table), I see that it thinks the drive
> is 1222/255/63.  Printed on the label of the drive is "16383/16/63".
> Now, knowing that one of those has to be right, and not knowing how
> to make FreeBSD not screw up my partition table, I'm confused.

You might have software like the Ontrack Disk Manager mapping the disk
geometry in a different way than what the BIOS does, so FreeBSD doesn't
understand.  If FreeBSD can't find the existing partition table because it's
looking at the wrong place, it won't know that there is a partition & free
space available.

> If I manually set the geometry, it still doesn't expand the rest of
> the partition table or see my free space (it being sysinstall).
> What's the best path to take to get FreeBSD on this drive?  What do I
> have to twiddle?  (Oh, and I'll add that Dell's BIOS seems almost
> useless both for information and any special settings).

If that's the case, you're probably going to have to repartition the entire
drive and reinstall Windows if you want FreeBSD.  If you go that route, use
FDISK from a MS-DOS 6.x boot floppy to create two DOS partitions, which will
use a geometry that FreeBSD should understand.  If FDISK asks you whether to
enable "LBA mode", say yes.  You might find it easier to install FreeBSD in
the first partition and Windows in the second-- at one point, Unix OSes
wanted to boot from the first 2 GB of a disk, although that limitation may
well have disappeared by now.

On the other hand, you first might try checking for a BIOS upgrade to the
laptop, and see whether you gain additional knobs to try.  Much easier if
that works.  :-)

-Chuck