Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2009 18:39:30 -0200
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DragonFlyBSD mail agent

On Friday 09 January 2009 5:56:42 pm GESBBB wrote:
> > From: Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi@gmail.com
> >
> > On Thursday 08 January 2009 12:08:55 pm Michel Talon wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > would it not be interesting to have the DragonFlyBSD mail agent in
> > > FreeBSD? It is a very simple mail agent, like ssmtp, but with some more
> > > features: it can either deliver mail locally for local users or send
> > > all other mail to a smarthost, and reads the aliases file. Hence it
> > > fulfills the needs of the person who wants a small mail agent for
> > > receiving periodic root mail, and wants to send the occasional without
> > > too much fuss. It is much simpler than sendmail, postfix or exim.
> > >
> > > For simplicity i have a tarball here:
> > > http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/dma.tgz
> > > it compiles out of the box, and it is easy to figure out how to use it.
> >
> > I second that .. Sendmail has turned into an unnecesary behemont for a
> > local MTA .. dma is a lot smaller, simpler, easier to maintain, a lot
> > less bug prone, way easier to configure and all in all, just what I need
> > if my MTA only job will be delivering local mail ... Sendmail feels like
> > having a HUMMER only to take my kids to school and then get back to my
> > home .. which is only two blocks away ... :s
> >
> > It would be really nice if I could choose whether I want Sendmail,
> > Postfix or dma upon installation time (sysinstall) ...
>
> You can all ready choose if your want Postfix or SendMail when installing.
> IMHO, Postfix is a far superior MTA anyway.

Sure thing .. that's what I do .. but, personally, I've found dma to be even
better than postfix for this matter (local only/cron sent emails).

I've got both books (the bat, and the dove) .. and believe me .. I find it
_really_hard_ to find a scenario in which Sendmail "has" to be the default
MTA on a fresh install unless we are talking about imposed polocies (like in
corporate polocies maybe or due to the Postfix license) or pre-existent
configurations.

--
Blessings
Gonzalo Nemmi