Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 13:04:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: Wierd Terminal Copy Problem

Jim Freeze wrote:

> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > I just cut and pasted 50 lines just fine from two terminals in
> > KDE-1.1.2. I stretched out a terminal window to 50 lines and selected
> > the text. I started vi in a second terminal and went into the input
> > mode using the "i" command. Then, I pressed the middle button to do
> > the paste. It pasted and then I pressed <esc> to get out of the input
> > mode. I had a 50 line vi session at that point. Did you do something
> > different?
>
> OK, this is what I have found.
>
> If I do a
>
> ls -a
>
> in a narrow window to get ~50 lines, then I can paste into the terminal
> window.
> (to open a vi session, I just do vi without a file name).
>
> Now, if I do
> ls -alF
>
> in a narrow window (ie, each file is not on its own line), then I can
> paste
> just fine.
>
> But, if I do
> ls -alF
> in a window that is wide enough to have each file on a separate line, (not
> sure if all this is necessary) and I copy from immediately following the
> ls commnad to the end (for me, thats 56 lines this time, but 35 is the
> minimum to get the same affect--my copy is listed below) then it freezes
> up.
>
> ls -alF
> ---- begin copy -------
> total 5781
> drwxr-xr-x  15 jfreeze  wheel     1536 May 26 12:24 ./

I tried this in a directory with around 500 files. The window I
selected was 50 lines long. I started vi and went into the input mode
and pasted. The terminal locked up. In a 3rd terminal, I watched it
and it continued to consume cpu. After a minute of cpu or so, I did a
"kill -9 pid" and the terminal went away.

I tried Kedit and it pasted just fine. I guess vi has a problem but
Kedit doesn't. I thought I had vim on that system but I didn't.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA